Saturday, September 10, 2011

BOYS ARE STUPID AND EVERYONE KNOWS IT



Since I'd had no studio and had been moving around a lot, what I've worked on since working pre-college is some illustrations for two zines. Quickie Volume II, edited by Rebecca Mock, debuted at Baltimore Comicon this August. I think my pages really stood out, I was happy with the results and I think the zine came out really good over all.


the opening page was one of mine:


then a short comic by Melody Often:


two spreads by Michael Clayton:



a spread by Aimee Fleck:

another of mine:


and another of mine opposite a short Archie fan-art comic by Rebecca Mock:

This last piece is actually supposed to be horizontal like this:

and I think it looks a lot better that way. The original drawing is in color and is also, I think, a lot better. I may post it soon, although it gets a bit personal at that point.


The second zine was just published today for Small Press Expo in Bethesda which is a super great event! It's titled Siempre Solo (forever alone) and the two main contributors were myself and my good friend and wonderful illustrator Abby Boeh (check out her work!) The front cover was hand lettered by none other than the hand lettering king Dai Foldes and the adorable and endearing back cover illustration was contributed by Ricardo Contreras.


I did the end paper design and the opener,


then, Abby's hilarious five steps to getting over a break-up,



lastly, my super downer of a mini-comic.





Last I checked they were selling well! I'm very excited to have had the opportunity to put this together and as my first quick and dirty zine I'm pretty proud of it. If you'd like one, shoot me an email and let me know!

I also got two zines from an awesome dude and illustrator, Nick Iluzada, and this awesome poster by Domitille Collardey which I super love and am going to frame and put in my room because I love it. It's a house in space! also she signed it which is always so cool.


I'm really into how zines can be a way to think about things that are important to me but that never quite make it into my work because they're not over-archingly important. They seem to be functioning for me as a simple way to get out ideas in a quick, easy, colloquial way, which I really, really like, so I'll definitely be putting together more on my own and with others. Look out for Letters to Ghosts coming out in a future near you!

No comments:

Post a Comment